The Brannon Family
established July 2005

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Taking Action Against Cancer!

Gabbie and I are going to be walking in The American Cancer Society's Relay for Life here in Elko on June 6, 2009. We will be walking in honor of my sister, Stephanie Densley, who lost her battle with melanoma in November 2006.

I signed up today at work, joining the Newmont team. My immediate thought was to walk in Stephs memory and honor. Then, as I pondered on the opportunity to do this, I began to realize how many people I personally know that have been touched my cancer. I thought of my cousin, Kathy Dorius, who lost her battle with melanoma in July of 2008. I thought about my brother-in-law, Joe, and his amazing kids who lost their mother, Sylvia Ahlberg, to breast cancer in November 2002. My aunt Colleen, who also died of melanoma almost 20 years ago. My aunt Donna who was taken by stomach cancer. And I know I am missing others...

I have friends who have had cancer and beat it! I follow a blog of a 30 year old mother of two young kids who is currently in the middle of her battle with cancer.

I HATE CANCER! I hate that it has taken so many amazing people away from others who dearly loved them. I hate that so many people that I love are hurting by the loss in their life because of cancer. I hate that my sister isn't here to see my little girl.

So I am going to walk in honor of them all.


If you are interested and able to make a donation, you can visit my personal page on the American Cancer Society website through the following link:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to be active. I love the family pic.

amanda said...

What a good thing to do. I hope to someday make something positive out of the pain we have all endured. I'm not there yet. I'm still mad, but someday I will turn that anger into action. Thank you for thinking of my mom.