Today would have been my sister Steph's 53'rd Birthday.I have been thinking about her so much and wanted to share some thoughts and memories in celebration of her life!

Steph loved her family!
They were her top priority and she would have done anything in the world for them. I know that she watches over them and is proud of who they are!
Steph and her family cared so sweetly for little Briana during her short life here on earth. I remember when they found the tumors in Steph's brain, and we knew she wouldn't have too much longer with us, thinking that Briana must need her on the other side. I have no doubt that she is taking great care of Briana now and spending some incredible time with her.
Steph loved her "little Parkerman", and was so excited to be a Grandma. He brought her so much joy and happiness. Oh, how she would have loved to have watched him and Makenna grow up!
Steph was the oldest of the 7 kids. What an example she set for all of us. I miss having here for the big events and the small ones. She was always there, quietly in the background of the chaos that always exists from having so many people in one place.
Steph and my mom had a special bond. She was a lot like my mom in that they both have a great faith, a quiet strength, and an unwavering testimony of what they believed in. Coray always says that Steph is more like our mom than any of us. I can think of no greater compliment. I remember the day of Steph's retirement party, she was not feeling real great and had been running around all day. My mom and I were waiting for her and getting worried as we knew were going to be late. She finally showed up from doing her visiting teaching. She said that the woman she was visiting was having a hard time and she needed to be there with her. I was amazed that even though she was the one who was facing such a huge challenge, she still cared so deeply for those around her.
Some of my greatest memories of Steph are from our Annual Girls Weekend Out! We always had so much fun. It was always a treat to see her loosen up with no cares or worries and just be able to play with her sisters. We have had some crazy times on these weekends! They are memories I will always cherish!
We had one final Girls Weekend with Steph. It wasn't really a weekend, but more an afternoon. We all gathered into her room and spent the afternoon, surrounding her as she lay in bed. We talked and laughed about the fun times! We learned fun facts about each other, like that Steph and Liz got up and left the table when my Mom told them she was pregnant with me. But mostly, we just enjoyed each other's company! Steph still had her quick wit and made us laugh!
Even considering the circumstances, we had to do a goofy picture! It just wouldn't be Girls Weekend without one!
After Steph died, I put a DVD together of her. One thing I learned about her through doing that DVD is that she LOVED this lobster t-shirt. I swear she had it for at least 8 years and wore it on every single vacation she took during that time. I have no less than 50+ pictures of her in this Boston Lobster t-shirt. It is silly, but every time I see it, I still laugh!
Steph had an incredible upbeat attitude and faced the challenges in her life with a positive outlook! When she started loosing her hair, she decided to just accept it and cut it off! Why she had Coray do it is still a mystery to me, but I must admit, he did a great job!
This is one of my favorite pics of Steph. It reminds me of how she was just always there, smiling, and enjoying the company of those she loved.It will be two years on November 3rd since we lost her to cancer. I think of her often and miss her so much. The day that I called all my family to tell them that Kiley and I were expecting our baby, I felt a huge void in not being able to call my sister Steph. I know she would have been so excited for us! I miss her presence at our family functions. I miss her smile and how she would bite her tongue when she concentrated hard. I miss how she would just give me that look when I was doing or talking about something she didn't approve of. She never judged me, but I knew! I miss her unconditional love she had for me.
Happy Birthday Steph!
I love and miss you dearly!

4 comments:
Kim,
What a sweet and thoughtful post! I really miss Steph too. You really did a great job of documenting her life through the DVD and this entry too. Thanks for helping us remember!
Andrew Barnes
No comment... I'm still crying. Love you and thanks for thinking of her and for sharing all that you did! Love you!
I am crying too... That was a really sweet post! Thinking of you, Steph, and sending love your way and to those whose lives just aren't the same without you.
She really was such an amazing person. She always came to our family functions with your mom and quietly supported us. She and my mom will have a lot of explaining to do when we all reunite. WHY!!!
Post a Comment