has finally led me here! The day of my college graduation!
I started college at 18 but just didn't have the commitment or desire to apply myself or continue. I liked working and really enjoyed the paycheck! I had a work ethic, but didn't have the school ethic, so I stopped.
In the spring of 2003, I returned to school. I didn't return with a degree in mind, but decided I would take a few classes that I found interesting. The next semester, I took a few more that peaked my interest. This go around, I really liked school and found my school ethic that rivaled my work ethic.
So, I decided to focus and get a degree. My first plan was set and included the University of Utah. But with getting married and moving to Elko, I created a plan B. That plan included an Elementary Education degree from Great Basic College. With only 2 classes and my student teaching to go, I realized that I loved my job at Newmont and didn't want to risk losing it by quitting to do my student teaching. It was a difficult decision as I had worked so hard and was so close to my goal, but I create Plan C. This plan included Ashford University and a degree in Organizational Management. With only 2 classes left and a completion date of September 27 in the near future, I added a Human Resources specialization which meant another 4 classes and pushing my completion date back to December 13.
So, technically, I am still on the long and winding road until December 13, but was able to walk in my graduation ceremony in Clinton, IA on October 15, 2010.
There were times I thought I would never see this day. I am sure I wasn't the only one who wondered if I would ever finish my bachelors degree. But with a lot of hard work, determination and TONS of support from my husband, family and friends,
I DID IT!!!
My parents, sister Liz, Gabbie and Kiley
My parents are amazing people! They have believed in me and supported me when I didn't believe in myself. I could never had made it here without them. They can finally say that all 7 of their kids are college graduates!
Kiley has been my biggest supporter throughout this journey. He has supported me, beleived in me, encouraged me, and pushed me when I needed it. He has let me lock myself in the office to focus only on papers, quizzes, discussion posts or other tasks while he takes care of everything else. When I literally thought I could not write one more paper and had my mini breakdown, he was the one who reminded me of how far I had come and what I had already accomplished and that yes, I could write at least one more paper!
I love you honey and couldn't have done this without your love and support.
Oh, Gabbie.... the hopes and dreams I have for you! More than anything in the world, I want you to know that you are SO loved. I want you to dream big and know that you have everything you need inside yourself to achieve those dreams!
Dream BIG, as BIG as the ocean blue!
I have loved this journey, bumps and all. I cannot believe that it will soon be over and done. I won't know what to do with myself with no papers to write or something constantly hanging over my head that has a due date tied to it.
And if I am totally honest with myself, I have to admit that part of me will actually miss it.
6 comments:
Wahoo! CONGRATULATIONS Kim!!!!!!!!!! We are so happy for you and proud of you! Good work (with just a little bit left to go)!
Love you-
Amy & family
Congratulations Kim!! That is such a great accomplishment - one you have worked long and hard for. I'm so glad you got to go to your graduation and that mom and dad, Kiley and Gabbie, and Liz were there to share it with you! You have always been a determined soul, so I never doubted that this day would come. Congratulations again! Love you!
Your the BOMB! Love you!
Your the BOMB! Love you!
Kim... congrats! What an achievement! You did what many, many could not do... GO BACK to school with a job and family to take care of... and finish. Kudos, my friend!
CONGRATULATIONS! I am sooooo happy for you! You did it! I always knew you would and could! You look beautiful!
Post a Comment